(Surely there's a good reason CSS3 Speech has "interpret-as: name" and VoiceXML has interpret-as="name")
"The interpret-as property has been temporarily dropped until the Voice Browser working group has further progressed work on the SSML <say-as> element."
...says the latest CCS3 Speech WD.
Thanks, seems I was a draft behind.
I don't see interpret-as="name" in VoiceXML 2.0 or 2.1.
Perhaps the acceptable values of interpret-as are not as settled as <http://www.vxml.org/say-as.htm?xt=1123294239864> led me to believe.
Spell checkers work just fine without knowing what words are names.
Well enough, though they could be improved. Thunderbird frequently informs me of spurious spelling errors on names in e-mails I send.