On Mon, 13 Jul 2009 20:38:11 +0200, Tab Atkins Jr. <jackalm...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Mon, Jul 13, 2009 at 1:33 PM, Boris Zbarsky<bzbar...@mit.edu> wrote:
Philip Jägenstedt wrote:

It would have to be part of the resource selection algorithm. Since that waits for new source elements indefinitely, when exactly would you decide to
switch to fallback content? Bad solutions include special-casing static
markup and/or (falsely) assuming that scripts will not insert more source elements at some point. If fallback content is defined simply as the content
of the video element I also can't figure out any other solutions.

A <source> that says "use the content"?

-Boris

Ie inserting <source fallback> or <source contents>.  If both @src and
@fallback are specified on a <source>, it is treated like a <source
src><source fallback>; that is, it first tries the @src attribute, and
if that doesn't work, then it goes to the fallback content.

That would require the parser to inspect an attribute to determine if the element is a void element (one that does not have a closing tag) or not, which I've been told is not very nice. Are there any other such cases?

This is why I suggested <video><source src="cant.play.ogg"><new-fallback-element>Ooops!</new-fallback-element></video>

I still think the use of this is questionable though.

--
Philip Jägenstedt
Core Developer