Smylers wrote:
The point is to have cases specifically _for_ it -- not adding
everything for which there isn't a reason against.

If <textarea pattern=...> wouldn't in practice be used by authors then
there's no point in adding it.  If it would be used then it should be
trivial to show some places where it would be used.

I think it's important not to forget that a great deal of web applications are internal applications not exposed to the Internet. In an environment like that performance issues with evaluating regexps against a large body of text are less of an issue, since the workstations used are under the control of the organization the application is internal to.

Personally I just feel that a unified interface is more valuable than "holding author's hands" and preventing them from making unwise design choices. If an input field used with the pattern attribute for inputting a single value needs to be changed to a multi-line textarea with the same pattern repeated not having pattern for textareas would mean a great deal of extra work for authors.

Granted, my judgement is clouded... I've always felt that the separation of <input type="text"> and <textarea> seemed unnatural. I guess I'm just personally against widening the gap when the difference from a user's perspective is that one is single-line and the other multi-line. :)

.max

--
       Max Romantschuk
       m...@romantschuk.fi