I'm a big fan of JPA myself, but a JPA application is not easy to distribute since the akward policy Sun has for their "enterprise" jars. Thus I cannot create an application that is as easily runned localy as "mvn jetty:run" - I'm having the same problem with the commercial projects I'm doing and with a small JPA test fixtures API I've been trying to put up and I'm pretty much sick of it. I think it is a better idea to use hibernate (if use any persistence at all) than to sacrifice the easiness of the sample application portability.