Hi Gregor,

thanks for your great comments! I am trying to answer them here.

2012/7/5 Gregor Hagedorn <g.m.haged...@gmail.com>:
> On
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikidata/Notes/URI_scheme#Proposal_for_Wikidata
> I am missing the arguments why Wikidata needs the multitude of URI
> forms. The list needs commenting and arguments why
>
> "URIs should be canonical within Wikimedia projects"
>
> is given up.

It is not. There is a canonical form. This does not mean it is the
only one, but every other form can be canonicalized into the canonical
one, and tools should work with that. (This is the same meaning as
with titles in Wikipedia: whereas both
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Obama and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barack_Obama are URLs for the article on
Barack Obama, only the latter one is canonical -- the first one is
just a convenience URL).

> (Of lesser importance, I wonder why the internal opaque ID has to be
> prefixed by a letter (Q) - why not a simple number?)

Originally this comes from a limitation in XML: the local part of a
QName must not start with a number, so we prefixed it with a letter.
As most export formats should also work in XML, we took that as an
important enough restriction to make it move into our Identifiers.
Furthermore, using a letter like Q which is rather seldom otherwise
increases the likelihood of a Wikidata ID being recognized with little
context (i.e. in a text, Q7237 will be in the end more readily
recognized as a Wikidata ID than 7237 alone).

> At them moment I believe a choice should be made between:
> http://{site}.wikidata.org/wiki/{title} and
> http://wikidata.org/title/{site}:{title}
> but perhaps the argument why both are needed could be added.

This is for merely technical reasons. Both URLs are convenience URLs
anyway. The canonical one is the one with the ID.

> On the issue of interlanguage/interwiki linking, I believe the
> semantics should not be opposite in Wikidata and Wikipedias, see my
> comment
> https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Talk:Wikidata/Notes/Wiki_links

Added comment there. In short, the current proposal is actually more
consistent over all the Wikimedia-projects, which means it is
inconsistent how it is handled "internally" within the
Wikipedia-projects. This means that the current suggestion is more or
less what the software already does, and does not require much
additional implementation.

> Gregor

Cheers,
Denny

--
Project director Wikidata
Tel. +49-30-219 158 26-0 | http://wikimedia.de

unter der Nummer 23855 B. Als gemeinnützig anerkannt durch das