On 08.05.2015 08:50, Lydia Pintscher wrote:
On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 7:15 AM, Stas Malyshev <smalys...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
I am worried that having two different data sets within the same
instance would be a problem for tools working with the data, and for
humans too. And frankly, I don't see too much benefit - virtually all
added value Wikidata has now is working with the assumption of the
semantics of Wikidata values and properties. Everything that pertains to
lexemes, forms, etc. will have to be built separately, so why do it
within the same site and have all the mechanics act as a split brain? I
would think having parallel instance of Wikibase would serve the same
goal much better, while preserving all the benefits of using the
Wikibase toolkit and basic data model. Ultimately, it's the same as
having separate databases vs. having one huge database (or even one huge
table) with columns marking virtual partitions - the former is much
easier to handle if the sets are completely disjoint, as we'd have
between Wikidata and Wiktionary, as far as I can see. Maybe I am missing
some benefit joint structure would produce?

The benefits of having it in one instance are huge imho. Our community
exists and knows how to handle structured data by now.
Processes/documentation/etc are set up. The world outside is starting
to realize that Wikidata is the place to go to for structured data
around Wikimedia now. And we probably do want easy connecting between
items/properties/lexems etc. As we're talking about different entity
types the data is easy enough to keep apart for those who want to.

+1

Other technical solutions can be found for keeping content apart when needed (e.g., separate dumps by entity types).

Cheers,

Markus