2009/1/2 David Gerard <dger...@gmail.com>:
> 2009/1/2 Ian Woollard <ian.wooll...@gmail.com>:
>
>> If I understand you correctly, you would be (theoretically) fine with
>> me creating a wikipedia page of you and filling it with true
>> information about you, including your social security number, bank
>> account number, telephone number, mothers maiden name, address, entire
>> sexual history, provided all of this can be said to be correct by a
>> notable source and referenced correctly?
>

> You're resorting to hypothetical hyperbole. This does not convince.

Actually, no, I'm being hypothetical, but not hyperbolic.

My point is that there exists classes of information that are true,
but are not suitable for inclusion in the wikipedia. Todd Mallens
point was that there were no such classes of information possible, and
I believe that I have shown this to be false. Indeed within the
wikipedia these kinds of information are specifically only protected
by the BLP policy.

Todd seems to have been actually hyperbolic: "These rights do not
exist. I do not have a right to tell you that you may not talk about
me or publish information about me, provided what you say is true."

Truth or verifiability is not sufficient for the wikipedia. In our
heart of hearts we know that, that's what undue weight is mostly
about, that's what notability is about.

We protect the wikipedia against distortions of information, it seems
to me that BLP can be seen as a part of or an extension to undue
weight as regards to an article on an individual.

--
-Ian Woollard

We live in an imperfectly imperfect world. Life in a perfectly
imperfect world would be much better.