The good news is that after dipping below the 1720 peak, admin numbers
are on the rise again and we currently have what I believe is a new
record of 1724 admins. However if one were to exclude adminbots then I
think we are still below peak levels, and even if we are now
appointing admins faster than they are resigning, the key metric is
the number of active admins, and that is currently about 170 below
peak levels, as less than half our admins are now active.

Apart from admin bots we only have 24 admins who created their
accounts in the last 24 months, and at least a couple of them were new
accounts for returning admins.
http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Special:ListUsers&dir=prev&group=sysop&creationSort=1
What few RFAs we have are largely mopping up stragglers from years
back, so wikipedia may still be getting lots of new editors, but very
few are becoming admins

We had a step change after rollback was unbundled in early 2008, and
there was a big fall in RFAs, Things have since deteriorated further,
there were fewer successful RFAs in 2009 than 2008, and the 2010
results so far are continuing the trend. It used to provoke comment
whenever there were no RFAs on the board, now such events have become
normal.

My fear is that if these trends
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:WereSpielChequers/RFA_by_month
continue, we will have a growing gulf between admins and non-admins,
as the defacto requirements for RFA are becoming out of reach for most
editors.

We may still have enough admins to do the urgent admin tasks for quite
some time to come; But I can see us becoming more dependant on the
occasional admin who can clear  a 100 article backlog at CSD in an
hour or two, and  I fear a growing divide between admins and others.

WereSpielChequers