<snip>
I'll add that it doesn't take much to simply create an account and
create an article that says "I luv Jane Doe she iz so awsumtastic!!"
While banning anonymous creation in the mainspace had its good
intentions, it's probably not as useful now as it was intended.
</snip>

And I'd like to add to that, that dealing with these pages is quite a
lot of work. Speedy the page is quickly done. You then have to explain
to the user that the article isn't appropriate, but that he's welcome
to continue making contributions, and guide him the way. Templates
just don't work for that, cause they always feel templated. In 4/5
cases the user will want to know what he must do in order to do make
an article on Jane Doe. That takes quite some time to explain, and you
will have to explain that chances are Wikipedia will never have a page
on poor jane, no matter how well she takes care of the elderly, it's
just not WP:N material, but they are more than welcome to prove you
wrong (no, sorry, the mention "the hardworking and kind volunteers at
the retirement home" isn't enough to WP:V she's hard working. Or kind.
Nor does it amount to significant coverage). All in all, I estimate
that dealing with such pages takes about 10 times as much work as it
is to create them.

It's worth it though, even if you retain only 1% of good editors. That
1% incidently is vastly more valuable than the amount of initial
articles you gain by making it easy to create new articles.