On Mon, Sep 12, 2011 at 7:34 PM, Sarah <slimvir...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> But really, this is extortionate, and it's in no-one else's interests,
> because the chances of someone paying $34 for an old article on such
> an obscure issue are slim to vanishing, so the only consequence of the
> high price is that no one gets to see it.

I was under the impression that universities and such organisation
have institutional subscriptions where their members can access the
articles, but not at a per-article rate but some other negotiated
rate, or flat rate. I'm sure there are details on the JSTOR website.
So people probably are reading the article in question, but not at the
per-article rate.

Carcharoth