On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:50 AM, Scott MacDonald wrote:

>>> Pedantry is no more communicative than the memes of pop culture.
>>
>> To be pedantic, I think you mean verbosity.
>
> What part of "Ten foot pole, not touching." don't you understand.
> Would that work better?

Did you all manage to miss the point that Tom wasn't being pedantic or
verbose? He was being Shakespearean (responding to what Scott said
about the language of Shakespeare), doing so with the words
'flap-mouthed' and 'miscreant'. Unless that is considered a form of
pedantry?

See here for some examples:

http://www.squidoo.com/shakespearean-insults

I feel an "you are all idiots" moment coming on (that's an in-joke).

Or rather, you are all pribbling plume-plucked puttocks.

No, I don't know what that means either, but (to use Scott's phrase)
it sounds 'kewl'.

I wonder if Shakespearean insults would work better than trout and
facepalm templates. Probably not.

Carcharoth