On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:33 AM, Carcharoth <carcharot...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 12:07 AM, Jussi-Ville Heiskanen wrote:

>>> To be pedantic, I think you mean verbosity.
>>
>> What part of "Ten foot pole, not touching." don't you understand.
>> Would that work better?
>
> Did you all manage to miss the point that Tom wasn't being pedantic or
> verbose? He was being Shakespearean (responding to what Scott said
> about the language of Shakespeare), doing so with the words
> 'flap-mouthed' and 'miscreant'. Unless that is considered a form of
> pedantry?
>
> See here for some examples:
>
> http://www.squidoo.com/shakespearean-insults
>
> I feel an "you are all idiots" moment coming on (that's an in-joke).
>
> Or rather, you are all pribbling plume-plucked puttocks.
>
> No, I don't know what that means either, but (to use Scott's phrase)
> it sounds 'kewl'.
>
> I wonder if Shakespearean insults would work better than trout and
> facepalm templates. Probably not.

Bringing this back to sharp sticklike pointy things... The Finnish
wikipedia template for one sentence microstubs is kalled HOK, an
abbreviation for "Hauki On Kala". ("The pike is a fish." -- A classic
Finnish repartee form for commenting about someone stating the
obvious.) and includes a delicious image of that particular fish in
thumbnail form. Not really a troutslap, but who is picky...