a guideline page. On the other hand, the Wikipedia:Blocking policy page is a
structured whole. Removing parts simply because they are not actually policy
would hurt the structure. There are other parts of the page which are
explanatory rather than normative. But changing the page into 3 pages (a policy
page, a guideline page and an informational page) is not a good idea in terms
of accessibility. Perhaps it is time to devise a way to publish rules outside
of policy pages. A page could contain any number of numbered norms, each of
which could have a certain level of support.

On 2015-08-07 09:02, Kevin Gorman wrote:
I will say on the face of it, I'm pretty disappointed at how this
looks.  Chealer's block record was not very long - yes, counting JzG's
he received three recent blocks, but there are plenty of people who do
little productive who have worse records. And frankly, two of those
blocks were for trivial reasons - 3rr, and for editing an archive? I
don't think I've ever seen anyone blocked for a week for editing an
archive.  More so: I'm disappointed that although Chealer requested
diffs of what exact part of his behavior was disruptive, he only
received one link from anyone.  Surely we can do better than this?
JzG's initial block offer explicitly indicated a willingness to lift
the ban if Chealer altered his behavior... but then JzG never posted
on his talk page again.  Moreover, JzG's initial block statement was
insufficient - you don't get to indef a long time community member and
just say the reasons are "obvious".

Once I have more time to examine this block later today, I'm going to
be tempted to restore Chealer's talkpage access, because JzG's initial
block offer explicitly included an offer to unblock him if he changed
his behavior, and that obviously can't be done if he can't even talk.
I'll also ping JzG to the page because I'd hope the initial blocking
administrator would be the person to work this out, but if he doesn't
show up and Chealer's 'record of disruption' seems like something
where he can agree to a set of conditions that will mitigate any
future disruption, I'll be awfully tempted to act in JzG's stead in
implementing his offer....  That's certainly not an offer that can be
implemented with TPA and JzG MIA.

This could be a perfectly good block.  But JzG's initial block notice
and subsequent discussion on the page don't make it obvious that it's
a good block.  I'll be reviewing the entire situation later including
all of Chealer's recent edits (I've only looked  at the talk page and
block log atm,) and may find it to be an entirely good block, but if
not I intend to restore Chealer's talk page access, ping JzG to the
page so that we can discuss JzG's initial offer, and if JzG doesn't
show up (to me, it's weird to use "you know what you did" block
message on anyone but vandals,) given that JzG initially showed a
willingness to unblock CHealer, if I work out a set of conditions that
I'm confident will mitigate any future problems, I'll be awfully
tempted to unblock Chealer myself.  (And again, I may find an
indefinite block totally appropriate here - it's just not at all
obvious from the block message or from future discusssion on the
page.)

Even though this has already gone to BASC, I'm pretty sure these
actions would be within my authority as an administrator - someone
correct me if I'm wrong please.

Best,
Kevin Gorman