Aryeh Gregor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> On Tue, Dec 2, 2008 at 11:01 AM, Daniel Schwen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > So we have shown multiple times now that cat intersection is technically
> > feasible. What we nee now is massive lobbying for atomic categorisation.
> > THAT is the hurdle right now IMO. Not some SQL queries.
>
> I'd say that what we need is someone to add proper support for this to
> the core software and get it enabled on Wikimedia sites, actually.  A
> toolserver tool is just not the same as having the feature integrated
> into the software, in terms of usage levels.  It might be that the
> implementations written so far are not efficient enough for enabling
> on Wikimedia, but nobody with commit access has even tried.

I'm with you - we've shown feasibility in large datasets with a lucene based
approach, and I think we need to roll it out and test it with real users on
real data.  We need a new lucene index and a user interface (needs to be
defined) suitable for average users to find useful.  I'm thinking of a "browse
related categories" type of function.

Best Regards,
Aerik