On Tue, Jul 7, 2009 at 1:54 AM, Aryeh
Gregor<simetrical+wikil...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip]
> * We could support <video>/<audio> on conformant user agents without
> the use of JavaScript.  There's no reason we should need JS for
> Firefox 3.5, Chrome 3, etc.

Of course, that could be done without switching the rest of the site to HTML5...

Although I'm not sure that giving the actual video tags is desirable.
It's a tradeoff:

Work for those users when JS is enabled and correctly handle saving
the full page including the videos vs take more traffic from clients
doing range requests to generate the poster image, and potentially
traffic from clients which decide to go ahead and fetch the whole
video regardless of the user asking for it.

There is also still a bug in FF3.5 that where the built-in video
controls do not work when JS is fully disabled. (Because the controls
are written in JS themselves)

(To be clear to other people reading this the mediawiki ogghandler
extension already uses HTML5 and works fine with Firefox 3.5, etc. But
this only works if you have javascript enabled.  The site could
instead embed the video elements directly, and only use JS to
substitute the video tag for fallbacks when it detects that the video
tag can't be used)