On 21/07/10 00:30, Roan Kattouw wrote:
> There is support for chunked uploading in MediaWiki core, but it's
> disabled for security reasons AFAIK. With chunked uploading, you're
> uploading your file in chunks of 1 MB, which means that the impact of
> failure for large uploads is vastly reduced (if a chunk fails, you
> just reupload that chunk) and that progress bars can be implemented.
> This does need client-side support, e.g. using the Firefogg extension
> for Firefox or a bot framework that knows about chunked uploads. This
> probably means the upload limit can be raised, but don't quote me on
> that.

Firefogg support has been moved out to an extension, and that
extension was not complete last time I checked. There was chunked
upload support in the API, but it was Firefogg-specific, no
client-neutral protocol has been proposed. The Firefogg chunking
protocol itself is poorly thought-out and buggy, it's not the sort of
thing you'd want to use by choice, with a non-Firefogg client.

Note that it's not necessary to use Firefogg to get chunked uploads,
there are lots of available technologies which users are more likely
to have installed already. See the "chunking" line in the support
matrix at http://www.plupload.com/

When I reviewed Firefogg, I found an extremely serious CSRF
vulnerability in it. They say they have fixed it now, but I'd still be
more comfortable promoting better-studied client-side extensions, if
we have to promote a client-side extension at all.

-- Tim Starling