On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 8:22 AM, Mark A. Hershberger <
mhershber...@wikimedia.org> wrote:

> There has been some talk among developers and others about bundling some
> extensions with the tarball.  The new installer supports enabling
> extensions during installation, so if we're going to do it, I would like
> to start bundling them with the 1.18 tarball.

This would be 1.19 at the earliest.  1.18 is already branched, and if we're
aspiring to do much more frequent releases, the last thing we should do is
to complicate a 1.18 release by trying to add more features into the branch.
 While this may not be a relatively small change, there are *lots* of
features that are "small changes".

I'm assuming our tarball release process currently involves doing "svn
export" on the phase3 directory of the release branch.  After that, I have
no idea what sort of post-processing (if any) we do (er, Tim does).
 Clearly, having some extensions in there is something that makes things a
little more complicated.  Probably not rocket science, but it is work.  I
would prefer that we have a plan and a developer lined up to do this work
before saying this is something that we're going to do.  Who is willing to
take this on?  I would very much prefer if this were a volunteer rather than
a WMF staff member.

Rob