On Wed, Jun 8, 2011 at 1:30 PM, Roan Kattouw <roan.katt...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Why don't we first ask Tim how complicated it would be, and get
> someone else to do it if it's more than 2-3 hours of work? I'm also
> not sure the scripts Tim uses to create a tarball are even in SVN
> anywhere, maybe he'd be willing to share them if they're not public
> already.

They've been in SVN for some time (and luckily Tim rewrote them in Python
from my older horrid bash code ;)

http://svn.wikimedia.org/viewvc/mediawiki/trunk/tools/make-release/

Basically, we do a SVN export, chop out a few unneeded files, build a
tarball and a patch, and GPG-sign them. Also checking out some extensions
and dropping them in would not be very difficult to throw in.

Currently the installer's support for extensions is limited; some won't
actually set up right, and we don't handle dependencies well, but
self-contained stuff like ParserFunctions and Gadgets should be pretty
trivial.

It would I think be possible to stash a few things in for 1.18 release with
no problem (and no new code, just tossing the existing branched extensions
into the tarball) if we wanted to, though they wouldn't be automatically
activated at install unless the user actually selects them. Actually making
things default would need some more work, and either way we'd want to do a
little testing. :)

-- brion