On Thu, Jun 14, 2012 at 12:19 PM, Jon Robson <jdlrob...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Another approach to consider for IE6/7 users is where it makes sense ship a
> stylesheet which hides everything other than the content. I believe
> Wikipedia should be accessible to all regardless of their browser choices.

This is basically what we did for Netscape 4 when we gave up supporting it
back in the day. We switched the style loads so they wouldn't load any skin
CSS on Netscape 4, giving you the raw Monobook skin layout. Not pretty, but
still functional. :)

On 14 Jun 2012 06:57, "Chris McMahon" <cmcma...@wikimedia.org> wrote:
> > Second is certain types of Enterprise shops.  Before I was hired at WMF,
> > worked for a company that processes complex financial records for
> > pharmacies participating in a US federal program that reimburses
> pharmacies
> > for the cost of drugs prescribed for indigent patients.  Well over 50% of
> > our users were on IE6/7.   This was for two reasons:  one is that these
> > pharmacies are in the business of selling drugs, and IT is only a tiny
> part
> > of their operation.  Second is that with millions and millions of dollars
> > passing through a system regulated by HIPAA and other laws, the risk of
> > upgrading is seen as higher than the risk of using old tech.

My experience has tended to be that folks have two browsers in such
environments -- the IE 6/7 for "work stuff" and Chrome or Firefox for
"other stuff" (Facebook, Youtube ;)

-- brion