That's my point. You wouldn't use "Fixes: 123" if it doesn't actually fix
bug 123. However, what if there's a case like I said, where a bug is fixed
across multiple commits. If you're using the "Fixes" tag, then technically
you should only be tagging the last commit that finally fixes the bug, in
which case all the other commits are left unmarked and are lost in the
repository. With just a "Bug" tag, it indicates that the commit is related
to the bug.

My reasoning has to do with the motivation behind why we tag commits. Maybe
I'm wrong, but the reason we tag commits with bug numbers is so that, in
the future, if one wants to find the commit(s) that fixed a certain bug,
they can do a quick grep search on the commit log and find the relevant
commits.

*--*
*Tyler Romeo*
Major in Computer Science