On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 12:46 PM, Christopher Wilson <gwsuper...@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm usually just an observer on these lists, but I'll weigh in as a user
> who runs MediaWiki on a shared host. The host *is* a VPS, but our wiki is
> used by the environmental department of a large international non-profit.
> As such it lives on the "enviro" server along with some WordPress sites and
> other minor things.
>
> If we have to give the wiki its own dedicated VPS, it will likely not
> survive, or we will move to another platform. I see some REALLY low costs
> for VPSes being tossed around here, but honestly, we'd probably be looking
> at a minimum of $50/month to give the site its own dedicated VPS. I realize
> that in the grand scheme of things, that's not a huge cost, but at that
> point, management will probably insist on making the site pay for itself
> rather than the current situation of letting it exist on shared resources.

We aren't discussing dropping support for running MediaWiki along with
other applications, but we're discussing dropping support for shared
hosting services, which run hundreds of applications on the same host as
different customers. It's horribly insecure and doesn't allow the user to
install anything at the system-level.

- Ryan