On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 3:00 PM, Jeroen De Dauw <jeroended...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hey,
>
> This is only true if you want almost no functionality of out MediaWiki and
> > you want it to be very slow.
> >

> There are quite a few people running MW without a cache or other magic
> config and find it quite suitable for their needs, which can be quite
> non-trivial.
>
> MediaWiki is incredibly difficult to properly
> > run and requires at least some minor sysadmin experience to do so.
> There's
> > a reason that almost every MediaWiki install in existence is completely
> out
> > of date.
> >

> So because MediaWiki already sucks in some regards, its fine to have it
> suck more in others as well? Is that really the point made here?

I'm actually arguing that we should prioritize fixing the things that suck
for everyone over the things that suck for shared hosts. We should
especially not harm the large infrastructures just so that we can support
the barely usable ones. If we keep supporting shared hosts we likely can't
break portions of MediaWiki into services without a lot of duplication of
code and effort (and bugs!).

- Ryan