Yes, I think you may have a point, Trevor.

The one thing that comes to my mind is that all the stuff at the right of
the screen is what might be called the "bottom matter" from articles.
Giving it primary place in an article, well above the majority of content
is...well, suboptimal. It's at the bottom because it's really not all that
important; links to other similar articles and other Wikimedia sites is
(I'm going to be honest here) fluff, not content - especially those massive
templates that take the place of proper categorization.  I get the visual
theory behind having it there; the problem isn't really the format, it's
the quality and relative importance of the information.

Risker