On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 6:58 AM, Casey Brown <li...@caseybrown.org> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 7, 2014 at 8:10 AM, Risker <risker...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > A lot of the "solutions"  normally bandied about involve things like
> > two-factor identification, which has the "additional" password coming
> > through a separate route (e.g., gmail two-factor ID sends a second
> password
> > as a text to a mobile) and means having more expensive technology) or
> using
> > technology like dongles that cannot be sent to users in certain
> countries.
>
> Actually, most modern internet implementations use the TOTP algorithm
> open standard that anyone can use for free.
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Time-based_One-time_Password_Algorithm>
> One of the most common methods, other than through text messages, is
> the Google Authenticator App that anyone can download for free on a
> smart phone. <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Google_Authenticator>.

Yep. This. It's already being used for high-risk accounts on
wikitech.wikimedia.org. It's not in good enough shape to be used anywhere
else, since if you lose your device you'd lose your account. Supporting two
factor auth also requires supporting multiple ways to rescue your account
if you lose your device (and don't write down your scratch tokens, which is
common). Getting this flow to work in a way that actually adds any security
benefit is difficult. See the amount of effort Google has gone through for
this.

Let's be a little real here, though. There's honestly no good reason to
target these accounts. There's basically no major damage they can do and
there's very little private information accessible to them, so attackers
don't really care enough to attack them.

We should take basic account security seriously, but we shouldn't go
overboard.

- Ryan