On Fri, Jan 22, 2016 at 2:58 PM, C. Scott Ananian <canan...@wikimedia.org>
wrote:
> Perhaps you could elaborate on the "WMF TechOps" aspect a bit, either here
> in email or on the Phab ticket.  It seems that some of the tasks currently
> tagged as "RfCs" are actually not ArchCom RfCs (they are
> WikiData-related?).  From your description above, it seems there may also
> be some not-quite-ArchCom RfCs related to what software gets deployed on
> our cluster.

My "WMF TechOps" term was a slightly inaccurate way of describing the "Ops"
column in this table:
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/System_administrators>

A relevant part to quote: "The Wikimedia Foundation
<https://meta.wikimedia.org/wiki/Wikimedia_Foundation> legally controls the
servers; ultimately the Wikimedia Foundation Board of Trustees
<https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Board_of_Trustees> is responsible for
determining who has *sysadmin* access, and how that responsibility is
exercised. However, this power is delegated to various Wikimedia Foundation
managers <https://wikimediafoundation.org/wiki/Staff_and_contractors>. On a
day-to-day basis, various system administrators with root or shell access
manage the server clusters."

> Perhaps we should try to come up with more fine-grained labels for RfCs,
> rather than labelling them all "ArchCom RfCs"?   I think there was some
> discussion at the dev summit about trying to associate proposals with the
> dev summit "working groups", as a way of communicating a broad agenda for
> each ArchCom meeting.  Finer-grained RfC labeling might be part and parcel
> of this.

I would like one board to monitor for what is actually about to be
approved.  Per T123606 <https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T123606>, I would
*love* for working groups to assume a lot of the earlier drafting/workflow
aspects of things, and Phab labels for that would be great.  I think we
need to agree on the working groups we want (see T124504
<https://phabricator.wikimedia.org/T124504>) before we start on the
administrative detail of what tags we want.

Rob