From: "Tim Breza" <tbreza at hbci.com>
To: <jturek at hbci.com>; <winona at mnforum.org>
Sent: Monday, August 02, 2004 10:17 PM
Subject: RE: [Winona] Mayor Miller's meeting on
Annexation Issues

> Ms. Turek make some good points and some bad
assumptions.

> First, I want to assure everyone that each of the
Winona Council members
has
> a vote and do use it in any formal proceeding. The
Mayor may speak on
behalf
> of the city on many issues, but it is not a binding
statement or position.
> The same can be said of the remarks of any council
member speaking in the
> same way.
>
> As to meeting notification. The mayor or any council
member may call a
> meeting when less than four people are present and
then no notice needs to
> be given. If there are four elected city council
persons and/or mayor
coming
> together for a meeting, it is a public meeting and
proper public notice
> needs to be given. The mayor has done this for this
referenced meeting.

> As to why more city people turn up for these
annexation meetings than
those
> of the township, is it because only a small number
of vocal people are
> concerned about the issue? Also having said this,  I
am sure that some
> candidates for mayor or city council will try to
make this the number one
> issue of this election. This is the power of people
that have half million
> dollar houses in the township and don't want to have
any neighbors. I
guess
> the cost of privacy in Winona comes at a steep
price, but in other cities
in
> Winona county, there is little cost because there is
no discussion of
> annexation, development, or how your tax dollars
work.

> I have to ask why there is limited discussions on
annexation? Is it
because
> the county and township officials don't want to keep
comprehensive records
> of their meeting for "liability" reasons? This is
just a matter of keeping
> the public in the dark while they conduct the
people's business.