Drew,

As I've mentioned before - wireless "physics" does not allow you to
simply and affordably "build your network" for tomorrow but you do not
yet understand this point. No matter what the customer wants (or
demands) and no matter how much the WISP wants to build a
high-throughput network at a reasonable price, wireless "physics"
(specifically the lack of available spectrum) prevents this. With
limited spectrum (which is what we have today in spite of the arguments
that we have "WiMAX" in 3650 and future "White Space" and "opportunities
to partner with licensed carriers) WISPs can not build high-throughput,
high-reliability, moderate-cost, non-interfering networks that serve a
lot of customers without having access to more spectrum. As you point
out, watching bandwidth needs so you can "know what's coming" and plan
accordingly is important but you can not make physics (that's what
happens in the REAL world) bend to your business and marketing models.
The exact opposite happens - marketing plans fail because the technology
(the real-world PHYSICAL behavior) does not obey the marketing plan.

There's nothing personal here - the PHYSICAL reality calls the shots and
it always wins. For example, it doesn't matter that I want (and General
Motors marketing plan may call for) a safe, five-passenger car that goes
200 MPH all day and gets 100 MPG up and down an unpaved bicycle trail
through the Colorado Rockies along with 100 other cars simultaneously
and costs only $3000 to buy. You and I both recognize that  in spite of
the marketing plan, it just is not going to physically work. No company
could build such a car for $3000 and if someone did, it would run off
the trail within 30 seconds as it accelerated, especially if there were
100 other similar 200 MPH cars on the same bicycle trail. The bike trail
just can't support that kind of traffic even if the car could be built
for $3000. Wireless channel needs are the same. To support a lot of
traffic simultaneously needs a very wide road - a very wide, unshared
channel.

Now I'm going to explain why I keep emphasizing this point - because it
needs to be understood so that the focus is placed in the proper area to
solve the problem - more spectrum. Yes - some wireless vendors aren't
delivering innovative products and some WISP owners aren't planning and
deploying properly but even when vendors do innovate and WISP owners
plan properly, SPECTRUM IS STILL NEEDED or the wireless physics won't
work and the wireless throughput still won't be delivered.

Again, this isn't personal. I just refuse to allow this discussion to be
thrown off-track because the wireless physical foundation is not
understood. If we go off-track then the problem won't be properly
addressed and it can't be properly solved.  I appreciate your good
business analysis but I will keep trying to the best of my ability to
address the underlying issue so WISPs stand a chance of being successful
now and into the future as end-user throughput needs continue to increase.

Respectfully,

jack

Drew Lentz wrote:
> This is the statement that got me:
>
>> One argument that I have had people tell me, is that the ISP should know
>> this is coming and should have planned for it.
>>

> Whether it is through watching the amount of bandwidth used over periods of
> time as a trend or doing market research to find out what is coming down the
> line in technology, this statement holds pretty strong. Best practices tell
> you to build your network for your needs tomorrow, not for today, not for
> yesterday.

Jack Unger - President, Ask-Wi.Com, Inc.
Serving the Broadband Wireless Industry Since 1993
Cisco Press Author - "Deploying License-Free Wireless WANs"
WISPs - Do you know where your customers are?
For wireless coverage mapping see http://www.ask-wi.com/mapping
FCC Lic. #PG-12-25133 LinkedIn Profile <http://www.linkedin.com/in/jackunger>
Phone 818-227-4220  Email <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>