From: "Drew Lentz" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "WISPA General List" <wireless@wispa.org>
Sent: Monday, November 24, 2008 11:26 PM
Subject: Re: [WISPA] NetFlix Streaming Bandwidth Information

The point that I was getting at when this thread started about 24 hours
ago
was about having an all you can eat type service. As it stands right now,
how many ISPs are offering plans of 768k or 1Mbps or 3 Mbps? This is not
going to cut it in the future. This is not going to cut it next year.

I wasn't trying to say "well hell just buy more radios in the same
frequency
space and put them up on the towers" .. What I am getting at is that
opening
these subs up and supplying the bandwidth they need is going to have to
become a reality at some point. If the networks that are in place today
cannot satisfy that need, there will be other networks in the future that
WILL be there.

For what they have done with the physics side of it (i.e. Modulation
schemes, channel reuse, beam forming, etc.) technologies exist or are
being
worked on to milk everything out of that valuable spectrum that we all try
and operate in.

The cars on the bike trail is a perfect example .. Luckily whether its
3.65
or TVWS or the 700 MHz auctions, that spectrum is becoming available. The
hope is that the operators that are around today see this and position or
align themselves (because yes Charles, the cold reality does hit you
pretty
quiickly!) to take advantage of this as soon as they can. And that doesn't
mean just for the distribution side of their network. The backhaul, the
routing, the switching, all have to be in place for this to operate
properly.  All too often have a seen pieced together WISPS fail due to bad
switching equipment .. "well heck, this Netgear switch is only $59!!"

Jack, I truly appreciate your perspective on this and I completely
understand the side of it you are coming from. True, the amount of
unlicensed space that is out there currently will not hold a network that
supports as you said "high-throughput, high-reliability, moderate-cost,
non-interfering networks" .. But that is today. With innovation in
communications, as it has been proven time and again, where there's a will
there's a way. Maybe the 5GHz spectrum can't hold what it needs to on its
own, maybe there isnt a modulation scheme for stuffing more bits per hertz
available today .. But that does not mean that multi-frequency equipment
or
innovation will not exist in the future.

-drew