Marlon, et al,

First full disclosure: I am currently a full time consultant to Aperto,
so I obviously carry some degree of a bias.

Marlon, I am not sure which products you are referring to, but I suspect
it is the old PacketWave products, all of which have been discontinued.
Aperto today markets only one type of product: PacketMAX. While we have
a strong 802.16e product in beta, PacketMAX is today an 802.16d product,
which is designed for and optimized for fixed environments. In the U.S.,
PacketMAX supports all 5 GHz frequencies, as well as the 3.65 GHz band.
These are all bands we likely agree are fixed in nature, so 802.16d is
the correct version of WiMAX for these bands. 802.16e may have some
future (I've learned to be much less hopeful for its efficacy as an
accepted future mobile solution...actually, I am now a skeptic who
believes the market forces will render it a deep back seat to LTE), but
for fixed as it relates to WiMAX, 802.16d is the best of the WiMAX
standards. The e version injects to much overhead and latency. Using e
in a completely fixed environment is somewhat like trying to argue a
sports car makes the best cargo hauler. But, this is not the main reason
for my response...

Aperto certainly had some big challenges in the transition from
PacketWave to PacketMAX. Many of the issues were legacy and related to
management decisions on what markets to focus on and accordingly what
bands and solution types. Marlon, since you have visited, management has
changed, including replacement of the former CEO to one who is much more
pragmatic, realistic and U.S. focused. Our new CEO, Brian Deutsch (who
is in large part why I joined), "gets" the U.S. opportunity and
especially understands what Aperto can be and more importantly, what it
can NOT be. Brian knows Aperto will not be the company to win major
carrier business, nor should it. With the team, he has made big changes
in how the company functions and responds, and with it many changes to
how products are decided upon and delivered to the market, and who
manages it.

Recently, we made sure all product decisions and management and core
work on PacketMAX 802.16d has been moved from India back to the U.S.,
where the core intelligence, executive visibility and competency exist.
This is a decision I highly support. As part of this, we have had our
most senior technical staff making long trips to key customers to live
in their environments for a bit to learn how they work and the issues
they face. We've taken these findings and converted them into actions
plans that have been already put into work and resulted in major
changes.

PacketWave is long gone now and that product bear little resemblance to
PacketMAX, both in architecture and functionality. No more two cables up
for instance. It is now 100% IF at the base station and PoE at the CPE.
The QoS functionality is excellent. The NMS has been changed to permit
local mode support and a wide range of other "must have" features
identified by U.S. customers. The PacketMAX 802.16d product is a sound,
high value, moderately priced solution with rich features and
functionality. It is a living product (unlike what some competitiors
might claim), undergoing continuing evolution and R&D.  When I was at
Alvarion, I was indoctrinated to believe that d was a dead end. I have
since learned that was entirely and view centric to Alvarion and others
solely focused on e, because for THEM, that is true. But not for us and
I think time will prove Aperto right -- d is the best WiMAX standard for
fixed and in fact, e has a much less certain future.

Marlon, I would invite you to come out and visit the new Aperto -- the
one I am now working with. Examine the solutions. Test drive it. You
learn a whole new view and I hope you'll appreciate that I would never
tie my cart to a horse that I did not have confidence could strongly
pull the cart.

Your friend,

Patrick

Patrick Leary