Not telling them to pirate.  Lots of legit reasons for P2P.  If I am
connecting to only encrypted peers then the ³script kiddies² have a harder
time seeing what folks are doing.  It does not make them anonymous, no more
than nat makes your home network secure.  However, it does act like nat by
clouding the data some.

Many of these ³law firms² have interns sitting around all day scouring p2p
sites.  If they find someone and their data is harder to lookup they simply
move on.  The more sophisticated ones have programs which automate all this.
If you are harder to see then you get put to the bottom of the list.

I did a test about a year ago.  Put 2 mac minis in a co-lo.  Spent two days
downloading everything that was hot on the trackers.  On had a client only
connecting to encrypted peers.  The other did not.   The unencrypted client
received 10 or so notices.  The other only received two.  The watchers can
run encrypted peers too, but the data is harder to get.

Justin

--
Justin Wilson <j...@mtin.net>
http://www.mtin.net <http://www.mtin.net/blog>