Glen,

I agree, documentation on this is all over the place. Unfortunately like
many open source projects any work people do on WiX is almost invariably
in their "spare" time.

My understanding is that your understanding is correct. Your MSI should
include checks (coded in Wix as as <condition> elements under the
fragment / product - i.e. a launch condition) for the prerequisites just
in case someone wants to install your product using an enterprise-wide
system management tool like Microsoft's SMS (in which case they are
likely to do so using the MSI itself, not a bootstrapper). Your
bootstrapper will make the experience for "regular" users friendlier by
ensuring those prerequisites have been met prior to triggering the
installation of your MSI.

As far as a tutorial for the bootstrapper is concerned the problem is
that there are many possible choices for creating one - from rolling
your own to using GenerateBootstrapper, and on into one of the process
driven installation tools like NSIS or InnoSetup.

MSBuild is the build technology behind Visual Studio 2005 (and the .NET
2.0 SDK, IIRC). Think of it as Microsoft's implementation of NAnt and
you won't be far wrong. VS 2005 .XXproj files are (if I understand
correctly) actually MSBuild scripts.

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Richard