Hi,
> " We also ran into this problem. It is just stupid that visual studio
> projects use 4 part version numbers and MSI only supports 3."
>
> Visual Studio doesn't.  We're talking in the context of major upgrades and
> the ProductVersion property. In Visual Studio that's the Version property of
> the Setup Project. If you put 4 digits in there, its build fails, saying
> "Must be of format ##.##.###".   I suspect VS does this to ensure that you
> can't go ahead and build an upgrade that won't work because, after all,
> Visual Studio is building an MSI file!

I was talking about the version numbers you can use in the resource
files for executables that you create with Visual C++.
The version number there has 4 parts...

So that is two products made by Microsoft. One saying: look feel free to
use 4 version numbers, the other one being
the brick wall you run into when trying to create an installer :)

- Kim

--

*Kim Gybels
Software Developer

* Metris Europe
* Interleuvenlaan 86
3001 Leuven
Belgium
www.metris.com <http://www.metris.com/>

This message and any attachment are privileged, confidential and contain
private information. If you are not the addressee named above any disclosure,
reproduction, copying, distribution, or other dissemination or use of this
communication is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error,
please notify the sender immediately and destroy this e-mail. Metris does not
guarantee that the integrity of this communication has been maintained or that
this communication is free of viruses, interceptions or interference, and shall
not be liable for the improper or incomplete transmission of the information
contained in this communication nor for any delay in its receipt or damage to
your system. Incoming and outgoing email communications may be monitored by
Metris, as permitted by applicable law and regulations.