From: Tobberoth [mailto:tobber...@gmail.com]
Sent: 10 June 2011 15:11
To: wix-users@lists.sourceforge.net
Subject: [WiX-users] Component Request: null eventhough parent feature is
inADDLOCAL

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to make an MSP which can update a few files and run a few SQL
scripts. It has taken me ages to get anywhere because of boatloads of
issues, but I'm finally in a situation where my MSP runs and completes,
updating the database properly. Unfortunately, it doesn't actually update
files and I can't understand why. My setup is like this:

* I make an msi which includes a .txt file.
* I make a second msi which includes the same .txt after it has been
updated.
* I make a minor upgrade .msp from the two .msi files.

I run the first msi, it works great. If I run the second one (as a major
upgrade) that works as well, it contains the updated .txt file. However, if
I run the first msi then run the msp, the .txt file isn't updated, even
though opening the .msp in InstaEd! shows that the patch .cab contains the
updated .txt file. Running with verbose log, it looks good for the feature:

MSI (s) (6C:00) [15:37:48:756]: Feature: FEAT_Main; Installed: Local;
Request: Local;   Action: Local

It's installed but it's requested to be installed again, as it should be
since I'm running with REINSTALL=ALL and REINSTALLMODE=vomus. Sweet.

However, the component which is part of the feature is showing something
else:

MSI (s) (6C:00) [15:37:48:756]: Component:
cmp432C3967A6AA13C06D8D1E0E95348403; Installed: Local;   Request: Null;
Action: Null

What? How can the component possibly not be requested when the feature which
owns it is? Another component in the same feature (.sql file) is requested
to local as expected.

Does the MSP by default not understand that it's supposed to overwrite files
which have changed between packages? How can I force Request: local on the
component level since it isn't enough on the feature level?

Regards
/Tobias Dersén
SDL PLC confidential, all rights reserved.
If you are not the intended recipient of this mail SDL requests and requires
that you delete it without acting upon or copying any of its contents, and we
further request that you advise us.
SDL PLC is a public limited company registered in England and Wales.
Registered number: 02675207.
Registered address: Globe House, Clivemont Road, Maidenhead, Berkshire SL6 7DY,
UK.