I did indeed retain the code. Since nothing has changed except the internals
of the two files, both heat-generated .wxs are identical.

I'm glad to hear that it looks OK since I was worried I had made some
obvious embaressing mistake... that said, it's quite unsettling that you
can't find any problem. I've had SO many issues with Wix and I think my boss
is getting less and less happy that I chose Wix for our development. While
Major Upgrades are working well, I've been trying to get some form of MSP
system to work for ages now and it just refuses to work. First I had major
issues with the SqlExtension where SQL refused to run during MSPs. I never
got that to work and I'm currently using a CAQuietExec to run sqlcmd
instead. (At that point in time, the MSP actually did update files though).
Now this.

I'm on the verge of thinking that coding a whole installer myself in C#
would have been easier and faster.