Hey,

Thanks for replying!

Perhaps I should provide some more information...

I am helping out with creating an OSS project called ChocolateyGUI.  This
involves creating an MSI package, which is then wrapped into a nuget package,
and then which is available in install from chocolatey.org.

The nuget package includes both an install and uninstall PowerShell script,
which are then invoked from the chocolatey “engine” when required.  To that
end, in order to create the uninstall script, I was hoping to include the
product code in the uninstall script.  However, since it sounds like the
Product Code is not easily known, I am thinking that I won’t be able to use
this approach.  I have “got around” this by using the LocalPackage location
from the registry key that is created to uninstall the package, but not sure
how “reliable” this is.

This does bring up another question, and was hinted at in the other response to
this question:

“If you plan an upgrade, why do you need ProductCode of the previous version ?”

What is the best approach here?  We are going to be shipping updates to the
product.  We are currently working on version 0.11.0, but this will be closely
followed by 0.12.0.  Should I fix the Product Code, and simply uninstall the
previous version.  If so, what is the norm when doing this?

Sorry if this is naïve, but only really just getting started with creating and
maintaining msi.

Thanks

Gary

Sent from Windows Mail