Hello Nick,

Thanks for all the info!!

Yes, normally chocolatey goes off and downloads the msi/exe from the
internet, and then installs it (with whatever flags are required to
"silence" the install).  A typical install PowerShell script looks like
this:

https://github.com/gep13/ChocolateyPackages/blob/master/calibre/tools/chocolateyInstall.ps1
<https://github.com/gep13/ChocolateyPackages/blob/master/calibre/tools/chocolateyInstall.ps1>

Where there is both a 32bit and 64bit download URL, and these are passed to
a chocolatey helper method which does the "magic".

In the case of the chocolateygui package though, we are making the msi as
well.  As a result, we are bundling the msi into the chocolatey package.  As
a result, the installation script looks like this:

https://github.com/chrissie1/chocolatey-Explorer/blob/master/ChocolateyPackage/chocolateyInstall.ps1
<https://github.com/chrissie1/chocolatey-Explorer/blob/master/ChocolateyPackage/chocolateyInstall.ps1>

And the uninstall script which I have cooked up, looks like this:

https://github.com/chrissie1/chocolatey-Explorer/blob/master/ChocolateyPackage/chocolateyUninstall.ps1
<https://github.com/chrissie1/chocolatey-Explorer/blob/master/ChocolateyPackage/chocolateyUninstall.ps1>

When we ship a "new" version of the package, we would likely be looking to
completely replace the old version.

So, if I have understood you correctly, we would simply need to "hard code"
a GUID for the ProductCode (always keeping the UpgradeCode the same), which
would mean I could enter the Product Code directly into the uninstall
script.  Then, when we are creating the new version, we would need to change
the ProductCode.  Does that sound about right?

Thanks

Gary