Okay, I maybe wasn't fully understanding the problem. :) So, you're saying
that you want to use your extension in another WIXLIB (unrelated to the
WIXLIB you used to build your extension)...but when you try that, but don't
reference the extension in your Setup project too, you get the error "Cannot
find the table definitions for...".

As far as I can tell, you need to have the project reference for the
extension in both the WIXLIB and the Setup project.

To make your WIXLIB work, i.e. to pull the contents of the WIXLIB into your
MSI (this may be the part you're missing?), you need to put a Property in
the WIXLIB and then use a PropertyRef that points to that Property in your
Setup file. This creates the link between the library and the MSI, pulling
in all of the contents (your components, your new extension elements, etc.)
that are in the library's Fragment into the MSI.