Ok, minor facepalm moment here.

It turned out that my component library project had a reference to my
action library from when I was testing the action out before turning it
into an extension. When this was combined with the reference created from
the code, this created two references to the same thing in the same code,
which gave me the error.

I removed that and it worked just fine. The lesson to learn from this is to
double-check those references if you get into these issues.

I'm considering raising a bug because a) this error was kind of bogus in
that the second reference could have been safely ignored, and b) the error
message didn't really point to the reference on the component library
project. It was only when I was ready to give up and abandon the
'wixlib-in-the-dll' idea as a bad job that I spotted this extra reference.

Thanks for the help