I assume that your (Neil's) description of the WiX language detection
behavior applies to 3.8, because I have not observed that behavior with WiX
3.7.  For me with 3.7 I always have to use -lang LCID to see any of my
supported bundle translated strings.  So far I have only tested using
Windows 8 Professional (with English and German selected by the user) and
Windows 7 Ultimate Korean.  I had decided earlier today to move to 3.8, but
with many distractions I do not have it working just yet.