1. Yes, we intentionally have a PerMachine package (installs only once,
never removed) and a PerUser package which we deal with as usually.
2. All packages are stored within Setup.exe. We do not download anything
from external Url, so suggestions related to that do not apply.
3. The issue is not intermittent. It just occurs on some client machines.
4. We do not sign our Setup.exe, so issues related to signing do not apply
(hence, I think this is a different issue then
http://wixtoolset.org/issues/4156/).

My best guess so far is that Setup.exe runs from C:\SomeFolder, but process
is then unable to access C:\SomeFolder\Setup.exe due to lack of permissions
to extract contents into %LocalAppData%\Local\PackageCache... Does that
make any sense?