I'm in the process of enabling UAC patching for our software. The process
today looks like this (some steps are left out):

I use melt on the two different msi packages + wixpdb files to create new
wixpdb files + extraction of all the files (administrative install).
i use torch, that compares the two newly created wixpdb files and their
extracted files, to create a diff.wixmst file
i create the patch.wixmsp with light
Then i create the final .msp file with pyro + diff.wixmst and
patch.wixmsp.

This works fine when i build everything locally. However, if i retrieve
the two .msi packages from our buildserver, pyro will start throwing
PYRO0103 errors. The error message clearly shows that the wixdb files
contains the paths from the buildserver, which arent ofcourse valid
locally on my computer. I find it really hard to find information but i've
come to the conclusion that i need to use BindInputPaths in my wixproj
file and then use !(bindpath.SomeName) in the wxs files. If i've
understood the issue correctly, this should give pyro the possibility to
replace the paths and the errors should go away.

However, in one of my wxs files there are about 15 project references,
like this:

$(var.SomeProject.TargetPath)

I could ofcourse create named bindpaths for all the projects, but
something tells me that there should be a smarter way to do this?

Another problem that arises is that i'm probably forced to use hardcoded
paths? $(var.SomeProject.TargetPath) always results in the correct path,
but if i use bindpaths i'm forced to provide a hardcoded, relative path to
the built dll's, etc? Example:

  <ItemGroup>
    <BindInputPaths Include="..\..\SomeVsProject\bin\release\">
      <BindName>SomeVsProject</BindName>
      <InProject>false</InProject>
    </BindInputPaths>
  </ItemGroup>

This will work fine if the project folder never changes it's name and only
when i compile in releasemode. But as soon as that changes the wix project
will fail. Is there some way to include these files in a more reliable
way?

Best regards, Jani

The information in this email may be confidential and/or legally privileged. It
has been sent for the sole use of the intended recipient(s). If you are not an
intended recipient, you are strictly prohibited from reading, disclosing,
distributing, copying or using this email or any of its contents, in any way
whatsoever. If you have received this email in error, please contact the sender
by reply email and destroy all copies of the original message. Please also be
advised that emails are not a secure form for communication, and may contain
errors.