My apologies again!  It was a dumb typo on my part. As I was pasting an
example of my code into the editor to post here, I realized that the last
parameter of WcaAddTempRecord should be a ComponentId, and I had used the Id
of my custom xml element.  Changing that parameter to the Id of the
component, now results in the registry key being written.

There is still some issue with the formatting of my binary string, which I
tried to prepend with L"#X" in the byte array, but I can go back to the
debugger and sore that out, now that the general functionality is working.