Unless I'm grossly mistaken, the ".# " versions are built on an "as needed" basis due to new security issues popping up (zero day hacks and the like) and/or a major issue or issues are found with the 2.7 series. Once a milestone release goes "gold" it shifts from trunk to branch and minor security/bug fix updates are made from that particular branch. There's no continuous development once 2.7-final is released and goes to branch that I know of.