Hello :)
The problem with the CSS sprites solution that Matthias posted is that it will ALLWAYS cause IE6 to flicker. This is because IE6 doesn't like the "background-position:___" declaration very much. (well, not at all, actually).
To get a full run down on IE6's background flicker quirks and possible workaraounds, see the following link: http://www.fivesevensix.com/studies/ie6flicker/
Andrew.

From: Matthias <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [WSG] Pixy's Rollover IE Flicker Fix - Good or bad?
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2004 00:13:14 +0100

Hi!

First of all: I'm one of those who switched from css-f to this list. As a little introduction: I'm based in Berlin/Germany and develop (design+code) websites in my sparetime. The standards-virus got me o
ne year ago, especially CSS. I love it. :-)

So is this fix good or bad and if there are better fix around somewhere
which I have yet to discover :)

http://www.pixy.cz/blogg/clanky/cssnopreloadrollovers/update.html

The following article might be what you're looking for:

http://alistapart.com/articles/sprites/

Dave Shea explains a method of using ONE image for a whole set of navigational elements. All you need is a identifier (id, class or may the correct parse tree) as a hook for the positioned image. Impressive technique!

Regards!
--
Matthias <http://www.kronn.de>