From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Date: 02/25/04 02:59:21
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: RE: [WSG] DTDS and which to use?

I've found for new sites without a lot of forms or pre-existing content,
building to XHTML1.0 Strict makes sure I have a disciplined, well structured
site that quite easily validates and styles with CSS.  I have to keep
applying discipline to rid myself of old sloppy coding habits.  Validating
to XHTML1.0 strict is like my childhood piano teacher sitting next to me
with a ruler rapping me on the knuckles when I got my scales wrong.  A pain
in the neck (well actually knuckles) but splendid way to learn the
discipline required to do the job properly.

However re-building an existing site to XHTML1.0 Strict is a nightmare. It's far too tight a standard to build to, and not enough benefits to justify the effort involved, unless the client's willing to pay me to do it. (Haven't found one that cares that much yet). In fact for one site, the best I could do was make sure it validated to HTML4.01 transitional. But at least it validated which is more than it did before! I'll tighten it up next time around.

Cheers
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia
AFP Webworks