From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On
Behalf Of Martin Stender
Sent: Wednesday, 24 March 2004 7:32 AM
To: Web Standards Group
Subject: [WSG] articledates and bylines

Hi all,

I'm about to begin a new project, and just got myself wondering about
the most semantically correct way to establish overall site
markup-guidelines.

I'm coming from a print background, and therefore try to make apply
most common newspaper/magazine structure to the markup.

So:
H1: publication title/masthead
H2: section heading
H3: article heading
H4: article subheading

But I was wondering about the most correct way to markup article-dates
and bylines.
The <address> element sort of makes sense for bylines, although the
spec says:
"The ADDRESS element may be used by authors to supply contact
information for a document or a major part of a document such as a
form. This element often appears at the beginning or end of a
document."

But I guess I just have to choose H5 or H6 for article-dates, right?
Perhaps its just me, but I kind of wonder why there isn't a dedicated
element for that, since publishing dates appear on tens of thousands of
websites throughout the world.

Would, for instance "<h5 title="publishing date">March 23 - 2004</h5>"
be the most semantically correct way to markup a date?

Regards all
Martin