H1: publication title/masthead
H2: section heading
H3: article heading
H4: article subheading

My understanding (coming from a search-engine-optimisation-through-web- standards-wannabe angle) is that H1 is the most important heading on the page. It should describe what the page is actually about, in which case I would think that your article heading should be H1. The publication title/masthead is most probably not all that important from a structural point of view - I would consider it more in the realm of meta-data, it's the origin of the page content.

Of course, you might not consider the search angle important... it's
just all I eat, think and dream about lately :)

K.

--
Kay Smoljak
http://kay.smoljak.com