John,

Yes, there are slight differences in browsers, but these are easy to
overcome. There are a lot of un-needed classes in your code. The aim is to
use as few as possible, and use descendant selectors to do their work.
Theoretically, for this layout you should only need a few id's on the
containers and the rest should fall into place.

I am happy to talk offlist about this if you want...

Now, some overall points about table use (more for the overall list):

1. although tables and spacer gifs are hacks (when ued for layout, rather
than tabular data), there are worse things you can do when developing sites.
While important, building to standards are only part of the overall picture
that includes good design, useable navigation systems, interesting and
accessible content etc.

2. there are some layouts that are easier to achieve using tables. That is a
fact. However, you CAN build layouts without hacks (or with minimal hacks),
that are stable across all major browsers. Hang in there. Eventually it all
clicks into place and it becomes much easier.

3. We have talked before on the list about the two extremes - on one end you
have traditional layouts (tables, font tags, image spaces etc) and the other
end are standards based layouts (css, accessible, valid, semantically
correct code). The aim is to move towards standards based layouts, but at
your own pace and comfort level. If you feel that you want to stay with
tables for layout and use CSS for all other aspects, this is still a major
improvement over traditional layouts.

4. the aim of this list is to encourage developers to move towards web
standard not to flame people who are having trouble. Hopefully we can keep
this attitude as it is one of the things that sets this list apart from many
others.

Russ