Thanks for all the help, people.

Unfortunately none of the examples given solve the basic problem, which is
that with anything other than tables, I cannot get multiple boxes across the
screen that have the same height on every row, without specifying a fixed
height.

Mike's example
(http://www.english-sofas.co.uk/contemporary_leather_sofas_0.htm) is nice
and clean but it won't work in my case - the boxes do not have a predictable
amount of text (can be one, two or many lines).

Patrick's example that basically turns the table on its side
(http://www.splintered.co.uk/experiments/details?id=36) is clever, but has
the same problem (and will only work for a small portion of visitors).  (But
thanks for the tip - when viewed this way, it's quite obvious that I am in
fact dealing with tabular data)

I'll stick with a table but will try to cut out the empty "spacer" cells.
Hmmm

--
Bert Doorn, Better Web Design
www.betterwebdesign.com.au