It's the height aspect that's the bugger. One way to achieve this may be to
use a CSS background image to force a minimum height. Make if a few bytes
2-colour (transparent) gif. Then explain to the client that Tolstoy is a
great read if you've got the time and impose a maximum character limit which
will likely not exceed box height. This way you can retain control of a max
box height. If you can do that, you're home and dry.

Alternatively, it may be possible to use a bit of back-end sniffing before
the page proper is served if, as you say, you're going for a database driven
site. I use ASP (simply because I've got years of VBA under my belt) but you
can use PHP (or another) to deliver the pages. The idea being you parse the
associated product description string character length then base the size on
a look-up table that describes a minimum height (and width if you're going
fully elastic -- which I'd advise against, unless it be to permit variable
product columns whilst maintaining strict box width) requirement. It'll
still be a best guess because there's no accounting for word length or wrap.

I was trying to figure a dynamic solution which displayed a dummy or hidden
page that would permit interrogation of the DOM tree, find the max height of
the various product boxes then go back and serve up the page proper to that
height, knowing each product box will be of identical height.

Then I re-entered normal space and though How?

The trouble, I believe, is there are too many unknowns which creep in when
you let those horrible client-type-things free to muck up the design ;o).

There has to be a simple solution and I'm convinced it's along the lines of
determining the max box height then serving all to suit by adjusting the
vertical image height of a bg gif.

Mike Pepper
Accessible Web Developer
www.seowebsitepromotion.com